I have been making this berry smoothie for YEARS since high school! It is easy, quick, and so refreshing and tasty~ Please try!
Our freezer is FULL of frozen fruit and frozen fruit is the SECRET! Especially frozen bananas – they make the smoothies so cold and creamy. Whenever my favorite smoothie fruits are on sale (banana, blueberries, or strawberries), my parents buy sooooo much because we either eat them fresh or package them in the freezer once they’ve peaked ripeness (making the smoothies extra sweet!).
If you don’t have frozen fruit, just add extra cubes of ice to make the smoothie cold.
+ 1/2 or 1 Frozen Banana
+ 3 handfuls of blueberries and/or strawberries
+ 1 large tablespoon of oats
+ ~1/4 cup of apple juice
+ 3-4 cubes of ice (optional)
- I usually do 1/2 a banana for myself and 1/2 for my mom. If I am just making one smoothie then I’ll use the whole banana!
- I prefer more blueberries than strawberries
- I love the oats! But also you don’t have to add it. It just makes the smoothie chunky and more filling
- You can use any liquid – it’s just for making the blending easier on your blender and it thins the smoothie (it can get #thick). I like apple juice because it is sweet. My mom likes orange juice because it is tart. But honestly I normally just use water because that’s what we usually have!
- Ice is optional if you are already using frozen fruit, but I add it anyway for more ice bits and it makes more of the smoothie lol
- Microwave the banana (you can leave the peel on) for ~30 seconds. This softens the banana so (1) you can peel and (2) it makes the smoothie texture soooo creamy
- Add all the ingredients into the blender, blend, and enjoy!!!
Tips for Freezing Fruit:
- Buy on SALE! We buy crates of blueberries/strawberries at swap meets 🙂
- Freeze once they’re super ripe! (but before they go bad)
- You can freeze the bananas whole and in their peel
- Wash/cut your berries and de-stem them before putting it in the freezer. For example once strawberries are frozen, they become rock solid like ice so you can’t really cut them or pull the leaves off